These are some of our favourite local haunts for good food or a relaxing drink:
- The Pheasant at Gestingthorpe
- The Fox at Bulmer
- The Bell, Castle Hedingham
- The Wheatsheaf, Castle Hedingham
- The White Hart in Gt Yeldham
- Little India, Halstead
- Scutchers Restaurant a bit further away in Long Melford (9.7 miles) but well worth the trip.
In the village of Castle Hedingham,(approximately a mile away) do make time to visit the Norman Castle Keep; throughout the year Jason and Demetra Lindsay host a variety of family days out, to see what is coming up do check out their website Hedingham Castle. In the centre of the village, The Village Shop has an excellent deli with fresh bread baked daily, newspapers and yummy treats. For breakfast, light lunches and afternoon tea try Buckley’s Tea Rooms and for a more formal dining experience The Old Moot House Restaurant. For some pampering or pre wedding hair, nails, massage and much more, have a look at Studio2 Beauty & Wellbeing
The ancient market town of Sudbury, the birthplace of Thomas Gainsborough, is approximately 4 miles away. Here you will find a variety of shops and places to eat plus a traditional market on Thursdays and Saturdays. In addition, we are spoilt for choice with Waitrose, Aldi, Sainsburys & Tesco supermarkets.
If you fancy an activity or two, here are some local options:
If you enjoy walking there are some lovely walks in and around our area. Please see the following website for detailed information on various routes for a Sunday afternoon stroll or for a more serious trek!
For a day out, these are some of the popular destinations:
- Colne Valley Railway (4 miles)
- Colchester Zoo (19 miles)
- Duxford Air Museum (29 miles) throughout the year we are privileged to see spitfires, hurricanes, messerschmitts, as well as bigger multi-engined bombers flying over us on their way to or from air displays around the country.
- Freeport Designer Village (13 miles)
- For further inspiration check out Visit Essex – http://www.visitessex.com/
If retail therapy is what you are after our location offers easy access to Braintree (11 miles), Colchester (19 miles), Bury St Edmunds (23 miles), Ipswich (28 miles), Cambridge (31 miles). The medieval market town of Saffron Walden (23 miles) has a fantastic farmers market on Tuesday and Saturday mornings.
One last suggestion is to take a trip to Maldon (23 miles) where the famous sea salt comes from and see the beautiful old Thames barges floating on the river Blackwater.